Monday, May 29, 2006

We Are Being Watched

I have been really good these past couple of weeks. I have left my bitchin' and complainin' about hubby out of my blog for the sole reason that I wanted to seem "positive." Then, I signed on with Sitemeter due to Mean Teacher's post about her experiences with it, and now I can see who, when, what, where and how people are reading my blog. I found that, yes, he does sometimes sign on from his work computer. Oh...for...the...love...of...god, as good ol' Homer Simpson would say.

Then, just yesterday, he happened to notice when I was reading some comments from Shannon (thank you for commenting!), and said, "Please don't write about me on your blog. It's embarrassing." He also told me that he sometimes reads it, and I was like, "No....really?" and then to myself, "No....couldn't be....no-o-o-o...how could he? can he? really?" And, later, he admitted that my writing vocabulary is much different than my spoken (when speaking to him) vocabulary, and that it's unfair to show my "real self" to others, but not to him.

Well, folks, you have just glimpsed the inside of an international marriage where the two people involved have not only gender issues, communication issues, but also a huge language barrier. Oh, sure, we do the whole switching thing between Japanese and English all the time - whatever feels comfortable, whatever comes out of our mouths at any given moment, but when I turn to my friends, I will undoubted switch to a natural speed, higher level English. I am sure he does the same in Japanese. Let's hope that this is normal. Let's also hope that it will get better by the time we are married for 50 years. Let's also hope that our kids will be able and willing to translate for us. Don't tell them that though because I think it will be too much pressure on them. Just let it happen naturally.

But, there is a gender issue going on that I am sure supercedes any and all language barriers. It is the fact that he tunes me out! He doesn't even listen to what I am saying half the time - whether it is a cute story about my childhood, or gossip about a friend, or how pissed off I am about something he did, or a request to do something. I mean, the guy just stares off into space, or the TV, or the floor, and I have to repeat myself a thousand times.

So, I must relate this one small tidbit before I go. Last week, after much tension at work, two of my co-workers (Mr. K is my good friend, and Mr. J is new to this job) had it out with each other, and Mr. J admitted to "tuning out" most things that Mr. K says, and he went so far is to call it "rhetoric" which is deeply insulting. I studied rhetoric in college as part of my communications major, but I actually had to look this word up to see whether it was truly an insult or not. Yes, it is! Completely and utterly insulting! So, Mr. K was pissed off about this. It is pretty pathetic when a new employee to a company decides to tune out everything that someone says, especially when that someone is trying to "learn" him something. But, I wanted to say, "Someone you barely know is tuning you out? That's sad, but try being married to someone for 5 years, and being tuned out every single day. Then, I will ask you if it bothers you that Mr. J tunes you out."

11 comments:

illahee said...

oh, my husband does both (accuse me of using different english and tuning me out. he doesn't read my blog afaik, though.) grrr, men!

Helen said...

My hubby does read my blog on occasion and had asked me not to write about him so much, but I pretty much ignore that!

The blog isn't for him anyway, it's for ME.

I get tuned out a lot lately, but I have to admit there are topics that he gets on that I just tune him out. North Korea, Aeroplanes, Cars....I just don't care and he'll go on forever about them. I try not to make it obvious though.

We only speak in English together, btw. I blog the way I speak, but when I write something and ask him to translate it for me (for the school) he really gets confused as he doesn't understand it at first.

How come marriage doesn't come with a "how-to" manual?

deenster said...

Oh if I had a quarter for every time I've been tuned out by my significant other (who is Japanese, by the way), I would be rich!! Thankfully I've gotten more patient and he's gotten more attentive in relation to this issue while we've been together, but we still have our moments. I read "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" and although I didn't agree with everything in the book, it helped me a little more patient with the tuning out phenomenon. The next thing for us to work on is getting him to notice dirty dishes piled up in the sink...ha ha ha.

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

It's funny...now E7's English and my Japanese level are pretty much the same so I talk to him just like I talk to native English speakers. E7 doesn't read my blog but did say that his likeness was pretty good on the sidebar! :)

Gina said...

My husband and I, only use English when speaking with each other. But he definitely tunes me out sometimes! Ugh! : )

Karen said...

Men are from Mars, right? I can't believe your new colleague is such a jerk! AS FOR READING MY BLOG, BU SAYS HE'S NOT INTERESTED. Oops, sorry, didn't mean to shout. As least Suk shows some interest in your life.
Q

L. said...

One of the reasons I blog anonymously is for my husband`s sake, because he`s mortified that I am sharing our private home life with the Internet at large.

But as far as I know, he`s only read it a few times in the beginning and then lost interest. (Hey -- a pattern in our life!)

WendyJI said...

The key to avoid being discovered blogging is to *not tell your singificant other you blog*!! Couples need some mystery with each other, right? *grins* Actually, I am the tuner outer our twosome. My husband can talk for several minutes while I say "uh huh, yeah" and never register what he's saying. Terrible, isn't it?
Oh Well!

Mande said...

Oh, when I first started my blog last year, I was oh-so-proud of it, and I couldn't wait to show him. I actually thought it was something we could do together! However, he showed no interest in it whatsoever, and he barely glanced at it. It wasn't until the other day when he mentioned it for the first time, and I realized that he still remembers of its existence. He made it clear that he doesn't understand it though, and I know him to be the type of person who gives up immediately when he doesn't understand what he is reading. So, we're still safe, unless I use a title like "Suk is the worst husband in the world!" Then, he might try to read that post!

Vicky said...

Hello Mande!

Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog!

My husband knows about my blog, in fact at the moment we don't live together so he uses it to catch up with what we are doing at home. For this reason it tends to the bright and cheery, but that's OK, I bitch in other places, where he can't follow...

I want to ask you about site meter that you mentioned in this post. I would love to be able to see how much and by whom my blog is being viewed - could you give me some details?

And by the way Max is VERY cute!

Shannon said...

Hi Mande! My feeling (could be WAY wrong) is that in some ways your blog is a lot like girl talk. Although given your great writing style, very advanced girl talk. You have every right to say whatever you want - isn't that the point of blogging?