Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cola Roast

I just want to give a shout out to any of your slow-cooker fanatics out there. I tried the recipe for Cola Roast last week. It sounds disgusting, but it is so easy to do, and anything that involves Coke-a-cola is undoubtedly tasty, so I thought I would give it a try.

I don't usually get too excited about meat, but this was so damn good that I ended up eating half of the roast, packing up the other half for my lunch box, and then calling my husband to tell him "Sorry, no dinner tonight. I just didn't have time. You'll have to fend for yourself."

Tonight, I am making it again, and I am going to make sure he tries it.

Cola Roast
Place one huge chunk of meat in the slow cooker. I prefer pork thigh because it is virtually fat-free.

Mix together one can of Cream of Mushroom soup and one package of onion soup mix. Pour over the meat and spread it evenly.

Just before turning on the slow cooker, pour a can of coke (diet coke would not work here!) over the meat mixture, place cover on slow cooker, and cook on HIGH until you get home.

Last week, mine was cooking for nearly 10 hours and high, and it looked kind of burnt, but it tasted so excellent. The sauce makes a wonderful gravy for rice or potatoes as well.

Let me know how it tastes!

4 comments:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

WOW! Sounds crazy but I've actually heard of this before. Thanks for the recipe!

L. said...

I`ve done the same thing with a can of BEER. I also use beer for stovetop simmering, too. And any recipe that calls for wine -- I use beer.
We always have lots of beer around our house -- we never run out.

Holley Wilson Mayville said...

I'm a little afraid of the recipe, but I LOVE the fact that you ate the whole thing and then told your husband to go fend for himself. Right on, sister!

Finished up the meme, BTW.

Shannon said...

I've read this recipe in some of my slow cooker cookbooks. Haven't actually tried it, but now I think I will.