Saturday, March 25, 2006

Another Classic Move by Said Husband II

This will probably become a regular entry.

Let's see...what did he do today.

My parents called tonight which was an extremely rare occurrance. When they call, I am always so sure that someone has died or is going to die soon. Tonight they called to wish us good luck on the move. While on the phone (a record 63 minutes!), the call-waiting buzzed in, but I figured it was my husband since he is the only other person who ever calls and it was 11:30 PM, so I didn't bother to answer. I thought that if I cut my mom off mid-sentence and go to answer the call-waiting on a phone that she is paying for, she would probably say it's time to say good-bye and that would be it. I wouldn't hear from them again for months. Not...taking...any...chances.

After we got off the phone, I promptly called Suk back. He started in on a lecture about how call-waiting works. He is convinced that I have NEVER used call-waiting in my life...as if it is an invention by the Japanese and we primitive Americans don't understand this sort of technology. I explained all of the above pertaining to the phone call, and then somehow an argument ensued about his mother.

Why, oh, why do we always have to fight about his mom? There is a super-complicated situation going on that is related to furniture, and I am not going to bore you to death with the whole story, but basically we are giving her two pieces of large furniture and she is throwing her old furniture away to make room. Guess who is paying for the delivery of this furniture to her house and guess who is paying for the garbage-fee of the furniture she is throwing out? Us. Guess who is receiving two pieces of furniture for free? Her.

So, it seems that she comes out pretty good on this deal, and the reason we got in an argument was because I suggested that she pay the garbage fee herself. Well, low and behold, we can't possibly ask his precious mother to do such a thing! Then a fairly new piece of information was brought forth.

According to the sources (my husband has no memory of this and I had no knowledge until three weeks ago), four years ago, my husband went furniture shopping for our apartment. We had gotten married in the USA, but I didn't move to Japan until 2 months later, so my husband spent that two months looking for an apartment and then furnishing it. He claims to have spent his savings to buy the furniture (and since he was working full time and living at home, I could only assume that he had built up quite a savings). Anyway, recently, his mom informed him that she had taken out a loan to pay for some of our furniture and that she had just recently finished paying it off.

Now, before you say, oh that was so nice of her, I want to scream. Why didn't my husband pay her back? If he wasn't meant to pay her back, would it be considered a gift? We thought we were nice enough to give her this furniture for free, but now she claims that it has always belonged to her? What the fuck is going on here?

And, she came over about a month ago when I was not home. She was complaining to Suk about the marks on the furniture. Well, I thought it was mine and that I could bang it up if I wanted to!

The situation is actually gads more complicated than this, but you are getting the watered-down version. And now for the results:

1. We are paying the garbage fee.
2. My husband is pissed at me.
3. I have stopped packing for the night at his request because he claims that HE will do the REST. He also claims that I totally insisted on doing all the packing myself and that I "wouldn't let him help." Oh, you are going too, too far, Suk.
4. The wedge that has already been driven between me and Suk's family has been driven a little bit deeper, whether they know it or not, but Suk did say that he would be calling his mom to get her version of the furniture story because apparently, I can't be trusted. (And their versions always match, so there.)

I am officially staging a sit-in.

Update: I couldn't resist packing a few more boxes, and Suk didn't get home from work until about 6 am. We have already had 3 fights and several threats of "I'm going to cancel the whole thing." "I'm going to get my own apartment and you can live in the new place by yourself," and other similar such words being thrown back and forth. Status: Suk has now packed the rice cooker into a box. That is the extent of his effort so far.

4 comments:

Midori said...

Hi Mande! I feel your pain! Moving house is a stressful pain in the butt at the best of times and having MIL problems added to the mix is not very much fun. I nearly filed for divorce every other day when we bought our mansion and we didn`t even have any issues with my MIL! It will all be better once you are in your new place!! Good luck

Midori (can`t remember where I found your blog but I figured it was time to stop lucking!)

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

Hey Mande, I'm so sorry that things are not going well with the move and all that. MIL...ugh. What a nightmare.

I hope that everything calms down once you are in your new place and the stress goes away! Make sure to get yourself a good weekend away at estee or something after everything is settled in. :)

Andrea said...

a holiday away is definitly in order! good luck. I know I almost left my hubby behind and headed to canada early the other day

L. said...

Moving is the worst, most stressful thing a couple can do -- it`s as bad as having a a baby. Seriously.