Friday, March 17, 2006

Another Classic Move by Said Husband

This is our last weekend to pack before the big move. Next weekend, on Saturday, we will go and pick up the key. Then, we'll have to day to finish packing. On Sunday, the movers will come early and pick up the stuff, so we can either go over the new place and help them, or we can stay here and finish the cleaning.

SIL (sister-in-law) and Sensei (her new husband) will be here to help out. They are planning to come over from Tokyo the day before and spend the night at Suk's mom's house, so that they can come over early the next morning. So, Suk had this bright idea to go over to his Mom's house to eat dinner with everyone on Saturday night.

What!?

He has used every excuse in the book to get out of helping me pack and clean. Last weekend, he just had to go over to his Mom's and have a "meeting" with her about two pieces of furniture we are giving her. These "meetings" seem to be a tradition in his family as they always have to meetings about everything...including things that really have nothing to do with anyone except me and Suk. I didn't go that time. I stayed home and packed some more boxes.

And, as you can guess, since a little argument about this Saturday-night-before-we-move dinner at his mom's house ensued, Suk claimed that he would be spending all of tomorrow alone outside, so there goes another day of potential assistance he could have given me.

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking. We would probably get in fight over how he packs boxes or god for bid, how he labels them, but it's just the principle of the thing.

4 comments:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

*sigh* It is the principle of the thing. He should help (or at least give the semblence of helping).

Thinking of you!

Andrea said...

sounds like my lug of a hubby. he actually said, it would all be finished. that I would finish no problems.
fryingpans were thrown

L. said...

Andrea, I love that line, "Frying pans were thrown."

I once got Ichiro really good with a rice bowl -- it shattered against the wall, raining rice all over him. It didn`t hurt him, and yet it made the perfect dramatic effect I wanted.

Moving is the worst time, because you think, "Oh, our dishes are going to get all broken anyway, so I might as well throw this one at my spouse."

Mande said...

My husband has made it very clear to me that he does not want me breaking anything in our new apartment. I guess he doesn't understand that we (foreigners) tend to express our viewpoints by throwing objects and that it is totally acceptable where we come from.