Thursday, February 02, 2006

Mande's J-Life Stands for Life in Japan...Get it!?

Last night, I reluctantly went back to my Japanese school and signed the contract for the next round of 60 lessons. I so did not want to do this, and I definitely did not want to hand over an envelope filled with cash (105,000 yen or $1200) to that receptionist/teacher, whatever she is.

While sitting at the desk waiting for her to count my cash and find out where they keep the change (they have so few students who take classes there, I was surprised they even HAD change!), I happened to notice some free "Take One" magazines sitting there. I picked up a few issues of Metropolis. That's a weird magazine if there ever was one, but it's nice to find out exactly which bands are coming to Japan and then lament over the fact that there is no way I could get tickets for them since A. I don't know how to get tickets and B. it's always too late by the time I find out. Since I enjoy that crummy feeling, I grabbed a few issues just to skim them.

Then, I noticed another magazine with the extremely creative title J-Life. And, I was like, "Hey, they totally copied me!" Here I thought I was being so original in choosing the title of my blog. I chose "Mande" - because that is what my friends, family, husband and anyone who knew me before 2001 call me. Everyone who met me since 2001 calls me "Amanda" because that is how I introduce myself now...yeah, now that I am a grown-up married woman, I thought I should be more formal. Also, I decided the name "Amanda" sounds better with my new last name. So, I thought if anyone were to google my blog (not that people really do this), my friends back home would have an easy time finding me, but people that I have met since 2001, would not. As this blog was originally meant for those old friends back home, I used that logic to use Mande in my title. Although, at this point, I would be happy if anyone was reading this.

Then, I thought, oh, if I put "Japan" in the title, the blog would be TOO easy to find. So, I came up with J-Life on a whim, and I actually assumed that no one had ever thought of that before. Right. By the looks of this magazine cover, they printed their first issue sometime last fall, so they totally DID copy me. As if.

If you are just the least bit curious, you can find this magazine and try reading it. I have not (and probably WILL NOT) read it, but there are contributions and advertisements geared towards people from all sorts of cultures who are now residing in Japan, and they are all written in Japanese with little furigana characters above the kanji. If you didn't understand that last sentence, then you probably need to start by taking Japanese 101 at your local community college.

1 comment:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

I knew what your blog title meant. :) Woo-hoo for me!! BTW, I think since you were on hiatus for a few months, people might have forgotten that it's here?