Friday, February 17, 2006

Feminine is the New Masculine

I have decided that this should be Japan's new motto.

Watching Takahashi this morning doing his Free Skate routine, I asked Suk, "What do you think of him?"

I expected an answer like, "He usually skates better than this. He must be feeling really nervous."

Instead, I got, "I think he's gay."

Actually, he does not look gay in Japan. He looks like a very typical, fashionable man who spends a lot of time on his hair and clothes. This is the recent trend of young Japanese men.

Some of my male students wear barrettes in their hair, long purple and fushia scarves around their necks, earrings, and pink cardigans under their school blazer. This is as much as they can get away with while wearing a school uniform.

I have even seen boys sporting headbands - the kind that a girl would traditionally wear to hold her bangs back.

Although, I want to make snide remarks to these boys and demand that they remove their accessories for the class, I do NOT. I wouldn't want to damage their self-esteem.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

omg!!! I saw him on the afternoon news and it took me a sec to decide if he was a he or a she. his hair is just awful.
and the poor guy did such a bad scate and the bloody tv is showing it again and again and again.....

Perogyo said...

My husband thinks everyone is gay. He also thinks everyone is checking him out- what an ego!

L. said...

Funny -- I remember the andogynous look being in when I first went to Japan in `85, thanks to Duran Duran`s penchance for eyeshadow.

All Japanese men look sort of gay to me. With Western men, I can usually tell -- I have pretty accurate "gay-dar." But not with Japanese men.

My own husband looks sort of gay, too -- and his pink sweater doesn`t help.

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

E7 thinks everyone is gay too...it's weird.