Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Not an Update

And, I was doing so well for a while! Time really gets away from you when you suddenly go back to work and have a million other things going on. I really don't want to turn this into an update, but I'll just write briefly about what is currently happening.

1. Ailin loves her new day care. She has been there for almost one month and she seemed to like it from the first day.

2. Work is going splendidly...classes started a couple weeks ago, and most of them are going well. One class is giving me a bit of trouble, but I am not sure of the reason yet. Either the kids are "dumbasses" or I am making several small mistakes which lead to lesson plans not going as well as expected. I am sure it is a mixture of both.

3. A friend and I are are getting ready to launch a co-operative learning group called Bilingual Kids Club. We are planning to meet on Saturday mornings each week, and are still in the process of gathering enough members and finding the best location for the group. We are hoping to start meeting in May after Golden Week. Fingers crossed. It's harder to find members than I thought. I imagined that people would jump at the chance to join the BKC, as other groups like this exist throughout Japan, and some even have waiting lists. I think that once we get going, more people might be interested in joining...well, I hope that's what will happen.

4. I am also preparing to launch an on-line magazine, but am still working on the technical aspect of building my web site. I also need to recruit more writers, but have not been so active in doing that lately. I have so little time at night to work on my personal stuff, and I am often too tired to do much - I mean, everything takes a back seat to laundry these days. Anyway, as I get this web site built, I would like to put an open call out there to potential writers - if you live in Japan and want to write for this magazine which will be geared towards "gaijin", especially men and women who are in a relationship with Japanese, please contact me. I would like to see writing samples or a reference to other things you have written, and I will send information to you about my plans for the magazine along with the types of columns and articles I am looking for. Just email me privately!

5. The Gaijin Weight Loss Challenge - this topic deserves its own entry, so I will wait until later. But, in your mind, just imagine something like the TV Show, The Biggest Loser.

6. This is it for now. Like I said, this is not an update!

4 comments:

illahee said...

hey there! you sound really busy! good luck in your ventures.

Lulu said...

Wow, you are super busy!!! Glad that work is going well!!!

I might be interested in writing for your magazine....I don`t know your email though (It wasn`t linked from your profile? At least I couldn`t find it!)...

Best of luck with all of your plans!!!

ps: my email is cherryblossomadventures (@) gmail .com if you want to get in touch!

Sherry said...

Glad to see you post an update, even if it isn't officially an update.

Sorry you haven't had as many people sign up for the play group as you hoped. It looked interesting, but for me what with all I have going on meeting every week is a bit much, especially if we have to prepare some games and other activities. Also, the weekends are the only time that my kids get to see their Dad, and I am fairly certain he wouldn't be up to a meeting every week. (I assume Dads are welcome to come too, but it wasn't entirely clear in the info.)

I have no idea, but things like that might be one of the reasons the response hasn't been as great as you hoped. The part about hiring a teacher to come help with reading was great as I am struggling to find time to help my four year old learn to read.

Anyway, it sounds like a wonderful idea and wish you great success with it, even if I am not really able to participate at the moment.

Amy said...

Hey Mande!
A great sport (?) that I recently tried is the trampoline. There's a place near our apartment that has those really big trampolines...I went with a friend, and we jumped for 30 minutes. It was quite a workout! But I've never had so much fun!!

I know there aren't many trampoline places around, but I would definitely suggest taking a look. A great activity for your GWL Challenge!