Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Gaijin Weight Loss Challenge

Last week, we gaijin (a.k.a my colleagues and I) were sitting around complaining about our weight and lack of control when we suddenly decided to start a group challenge, similar to that on the TV show, The Biggest Loser. I have never seen this show, but Karl has, and I suppose that is how this idea came about.

First, we had a "weigh in" and everyone got weighed and Karl put our weights on a chart. Each Thursday will be our "weigh in" day. On Wednesdays, after school, we will challenge ourselves to a fun, but active sport. Our first will be a driving range - hitting golf balls for an hour will be a good workout, but not too strenuous for us fatties.

We have plans for each Wednesday for the next 6 weeks, and they include going to a batting cage, rock wall climbing, ice skating, swimming, throwing frisbee, etc. (We do have some alternative activities in mind as well.) Then, we decided to do mini-challenges on Mondays after school as well. These are less extreme, but basically consist of activities like ping pong, tennis, basketball, brisk walk along the beach, etc...basically, anything we can do on or near the school premise.

Each person has to manage their diets individually, be together we will try out these challenges. I have never tried some of these sports before, so it will be fun to do with a group of people.

At the 6 week check point, we are going to determine who is the biggest loser at that point. Then, we plan to go out to lunch at a nearby restaurant - one of those healthy buffet places - and we will treat the biggest loser to lunch.

Then, if things are going well and we are up for it, we will continue on with another 6 week round.

One of the great benefits of this weight loss challenge is the opporunity to try out some activities that I would never have the guts to do on my own. Of course, my over-worked husband is usually not interested in trying these things with me, and even if he was, weekends are nearly impossible with the crowds! Plus, if I go about these activities with my colleagues (for example, going to a driving range for the first time in Japan), it gives me a chance to find out where it is, how to get there, details like cost and rental fees, etc. So, next time, if I want to go there alone or with my husband, it won't seem so daunting.

Doing things for the first time in a foreign country is often daunting, and I think this will be a good way to break down some barriers which have existed in my life since moving to Japan. In fact, just in the last week, through our quick research and pooling of resources, we realized that there is a driving range, a batting cage, an ice rink, a rock climbing wall, and ping pong courts right in the area where our school is located!! We never realized this before!!! Plus, our school is one block from the beach and sea-side park - perfect for jogs, brisk walks and frisbee-throwing.

Well, let's see if I can manage to lose the 10 kg I have yet to lose since getting pregnant. (I have only lost 8 kg so far since having the baby over a year ago!) 

2 comments:

Vicky said...

I think this is an excellent idea, and one that could shape up into some serious fun. I wish I had work colleagues when I read stuff like this - I'm a one man band here.

I too am struggling with weight and have decided to get on and get it off!

Good luck! Do post the results here - even if you only lose a little bit, you'll have been a whole lot more active, which is bound to have good effects in all aspects of your life.

Amy said...

(oops...this comment went to the wrong post! Here it is again.) :)

A great sport (?) that I recently tried is the trampoline. There's a place near our apartment that has those really big trampolines...I went with a friend, and we jumped for 30 minutes. It was quite a workout! But I've never had so much fun!!

I know there aren't many trampoline places around, but I would definitely suggest taking a look. A great activity for your GWL Challenge!