Thursday, September 28, 2006

Vices and more

Okay, I admit it. I am a already being a bad mother.

I like to drink coca-a-cola. And though I avoid drinking it every day, I can't help but indulge a few times a week. To be sure, on those days I try to avoid coffee.

Which brings me to another point - coffee consumption. I don't drink the real stuff (that nasty shit they make in our staff room at work tends to lead to sores all over the inside of my mouth), but I do drink Cafe Mocha (powder with hot water added), and when I go to a coffee shop (which you all know that I cannot stay away from even if I try), I often order a Cafe Mocha or something of that nature.

And speaking of mocha, I can't resist chocolate or chocolate chip cookies to this day. So, either I order one at the coffee shop or I bake them.

And when I don't get my cookie for the day, I go for a potato chips from the grocery store. Sometimes, I buy them on the way home from work and eat them as an after-school snack. Other times, my husband (who is so much worse than me) brings them home and eats them for this after-dinner snack. And, then when I get up in the morning, I eat the leftovers for my before-breakfast snack.

When I first realized I was preggers, I dug out my copies of "What to Eat When Expecting" and "What to Expect and Expecting." I faithfully tried the "diets" that they recommend, but that lasted about 2 days. It was shocking to me that a woman could last 9 months on such a restrictive diet. Then, I made the decision that I have quite enough stress in my life without having to add a diet to the mix. So, I stopped worrying so much, except that I still must be worrying because I am writing about it right now.

(And, yes I have to admit that I had a crying fit while visiting my parents in WI because I was so worried that I wasn't eating right. I kept talking about "retardation", and finally, my mom said, "Worrying about such a thing will only make it worse.")

And, then there is all the advice that random people give me.
"Don't gain more than 10kg because that is the rule in Japan."
"Be sure to listen to classical music a lot."
"Don't ride on any type of transportation."
"Don't ride your bicycle."

Today, I am going to do something really enjoyable. A reflexology hot stone massage (basically a foot/leg massage using essential oil and heated stones), and oh, this will feel so nice on my aching feet. This is the kind of vice I need much more of.

Update: I did go to my reflexology appointment, but they turned me away. Why, you say? Because this salon does not serve pregnant women. They explained that the oils absorb into the blood stream and can affect the fetus. Well, well, well...that is news to me. This wave of frustration came over me because I had been looking forward to this special treat for weeks. My feet, legs and hips hurt so badly that I just needed something (anything!) that would relieve the pain. I started crying right then and there, and I couldn't stop. When a white woman cries, her face gets all red and blotchy, her eyes turn a deep crimson, and there I was looking like someone had just told me my husband was killed. I left there and had to be real careful not to run into any students. I went straight to 31 Flavors and bought myself a six-pack of ice cream sandwiches (to share with Suk of course!).

By the way, I have been looking for a place that offers water aerobics for pregnant women, but the classes are always on weekday afternoons. I guess they assume that all pregnant women are also housewives. I am getting really tired of being told that I can't or shouldn't do something because I am pregnant.

Nonetheless, here is a website I found (http://www.essentialoils.co.za/pregnancy.htm) containing information about the essential oils you should avoid during pregnancy (which is in fact all of them). Since the place I go to specializes in Aromatherapy, they could not offer any of their other services to me, since they all involve oils. They told me to ask my doctor next time to recommend some places that cater to pregnant women. It is tough living in a country where the information is not necessarily at your fingertips. I feel so ignorant and illiterate at times.

6 comments:

illahee said...

i'm sorry you didn't get your massage. :( i hope you feel better soon.

as for food...well, chocolate makes happy babies! it's been in a study. ;) and a little coffee (less than two cups a day) isn't gonna hurt. and cola, pshaw! you might avoid diet cola, though.

jeez, i sound kinda silly. sorry about that...

Trisha said...

You know what is funny, when I was pregnant with my first I only drank water or milk and ate salad twice a day. By the time I was pregnant with the second I was drinking coffee and eating chocolate left and right. Being overly cautious is just as bad as not being cautious at all.

Mande said...

You know what? My doctor said up to two cups of coffee a day would be fine, especially after the first three months. I figured coke would fit in that category as well, and yes, I do avoid diet cola because of the sodium content! So, I'm okay, right? And, I'll be able to ask the doc or his staff about massage salons that cater to pregnant women, since I have an appointment tomorrow.

Gina said...

I don't think you are a bad mom at all! It always drives me crazy when these "pregnancy nazi's" tell you "don't do this, don't do that". It's crazy! Just makes me have to roll my eyes sometimes!

When I was pregnant with Branden. I drank coffee after I was out of my first trimester. Now, I didn't drinks tons. Maybe 3 coffees a week. I had a soda or two a week! I also like coca cola! Ha ha ha. But, I ate chips and cookies whenever I wanted. Granted I didn't eat too many sweets, because I didn't want to come down with gestational diabetes. But I ate pretty much anything I wanted. Healthy stuff, but well rounded meals. And I did snack, snacked a lot actually. Chips are great! LOL. I didn't gain too much weight. I gained 20 pounds. Maybe 21 pounds tops! It came off easily, after I had the baby and because I breast fed.

Now on the other hand my MIL said, I did *everything* wrong. And the fact I drank coffee at all, was a horrible crime. Oh yeah and I didn't keep socks on my feet 24 hours a day...total disaster!

My baby came out just fine!

My second pregnancy, for some reason the smell of coffee, made me wanna heave! Not sure why. So, I didn't drink any coffee my second pregnancy. But, I did drink sodas and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Including the occasional Mc Donald's and whatnot! The baby was fine too!

I didn't drink alcohol (although in some countries, they think it's okay), I didn't take any otc cold meds. I did get in some exercise like daily walking. That was enough.

My second pregnancy, I didn't pay attention to anyone's 2 cents at all. Especially my MIL.

I loved my encouraging family. And I loved the advice I got from good and trusted friends.

What was a "must have"
and what was a total dud!
What should you pack in your hospital bag?

Stuff like that, is what I appreciated. The positive comments and helpful stuff. Not the stuff, like...."Don't do this, or your baby wil be doomed crap," that I got from my mil.

Your baby is going to be fine and gorgeous! : )

And I'm sorry you couldn't get your massage. That sucks! : (

Vicky said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I have been having trouble with Blogger and couldn't post comments for a while, but I'm delighted for you both.

May your little one bring you a lifetime of laughs.

And ignore all of the pregnancy advice except the stuff that suits YOU!

L. said...

Many years ago, I once very had a (very early, not traumatic, and not mourned) miscarriage in Japan, and more than one evil busybody told me IT WAS MY FAULT FOR NOT QUITTING MY JOB as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

I had two babies in earthy-crunchy annoying California, and one baby in Tokyo, and the unsolicitied advice was different in both places -- but equally annoying!

(And of course the follow-up to 9 months of pregnancy advice is yeeeeears of unsolicited parenting advice. Yay!)