Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Comments

I didn't realize that a pregnancy would inspire so many replies. Thank you for congratulating us. It is so much better than hearing things like, "Were you trying?", "Is this an accident?", "Are you sure?" In general, Japanese people are tickled pink when they hear of anything that will help to increase the birthrate, but these were some of the reactions of friends or family back home. Before I launch into a narrative of my trip home last month, I want to reply to some of the comments.

Grandma Feeds Beer to Grandbabies
Well, my grandma did this to me. I was probably not a little baby at the time, but I do remember approaching her with my little cup and asking for refill. She would fill it with about one sip of beer, and off I would go to drink it. Now, this was back in the days when seatbelts were not a requirement by law. And, when my grandma was babysitting me, she would take me with her to go barhopping. Before you faint from disbelief, there is a silver lining. Now, as an adult, I refuse her invitations to go barhopping. I did not turn into a alcoholic. And, I never became an uncontrollable teenager partying until I had to go to the ER to get my stomach pumped...like some of the kids I went to high school with. So, "illahee", don't fret too much if your MIL or mother lets your child try an occasional sip of something forbidden.

Kids Become Citizens of 2 Countries
I knew this fact, but it was not something my MIL knew about. I told her not to worry. In any case though, I was relieved to hear that Gina got her baby's passport within two weeks. I have to go to the USA next summer and be the Matron of Honor in Shannon's wedding, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a passport in time (that's 5 months after the birth). I guess I have no need to worry.

Mother-to-be Considers Becomes "Real" Mother
Gina recommends her doctor in Funabashi. I have a great doctor/clinic in Inage, and I was glad to see they offer epidurals. I hadn't considered NOT getting one until I showed the price to Suk, and his reaction was...get this...
"Mande, you should experience the pain of childbirth at least once in your life. That will make you a real mother." Who the f--- is he to talk? I almost died from holding in my laughter when I heard that. And, that comment really did not deserve a retort of any kind, so I left it at that.

Mother-to-be Swears like an SOB
This has nothing to do with the comments, but I want to note that I have taken to swearing a lot. And, not just your usual "shit" or "damn". It's much more colorful than that. Although I feel content and satisfied with my life right now, I have one issue which is related to work. There is someone that I work with who pisses the living shit out of me, and I cannot help but let it out in some way...healthy or not. My goal in life is to get rid of him before he takes over my responsibilities while I am on maternity leave. I would rather have someone new in the position then someone as assinine as him. I am an evil SOB. I know this to be true.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh no, Mande, I wasn't like recommending him like... "you really should see my doctor"! Nothing like that at all. Actually the only reason I even mentioned it, was because my old friend had a baby this past June. She couldn't find anyone who gave epidurals at all and she also lived in Chiba, like we do. I told her about my place and she wanted to go see him. She was American as well. But it was too far! I had my first son with the help of an epidural and I wouldn't even consider having my second one without one either. Ha ha ha.

So, when you mentioned your pregnancy, I thought maybe you might be in an area, where no epidurals are given either. Which is why I recommended him to you.

If you've got a doc who gives them, That's wonderful and best! Closest to you and your home is #1! : )

And yes, my husband mentioned the price to me as well! That didn't fly too well at my house either! Ha ha ha! : )

L. said...

"Mande, you should experience the pain of childbirth at least once in your life. That will make you a real mother."

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I suppose that means I`m not a "real" mother, either, because I had three c-sections!

A Japanese friend of mine gave birth at Aiku (which was the closest hospital to where we lived, but I went all the way to Seibo because I`d haerd better things about it) and during labor, she said she wanted an epidural.

The doctor took her (American) husband out into the hallway, and asked him (I`m not making this up) please convince your wife not to have one.

The husband, to his credit, after first asking if there were any medical reasons behind the doctor`s opinion (there weren`t -- the doctor just believed epidurals were a last resort for particularly hard births), said, "I don`t know what kind of pain she`s feeling right now, and she can judge better than I can whether she needs one or not."

illahee said...

well, my father used to give me a sip of beer, too. but when i was about five or six. and i agree, probably harmless. but a 22-month-old is MUCH too young to experience any beer. in my humble opinion, of course. :)