Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Homegoing

Now, I can write about my visit to Wisconsin.

This time, I had three main goals.

1. To go shopping for maternity/baby items.
2. To spend time with family before I become a mom with responsibilities.
3. To spend time with Amy - a promise made last Christmas because we weren't able to meet at that time.

As for Number 1, before leaving Japan, I made sure to research a bit. I asked Wendy (a friend who had a baby last year) since these things would be fresh in her mind. I also joined an e-group for AFWJ that specializes in babies and children topics. I received lots of advice about necessary items. After returning, I have had to shop a bit on-line as I could not find everything I needed. Remember, I am from the boondocks, and the closest they had to a baby/maternity store was a Target.

As for Number 2, this was just my own selfish need to be babied one last time by my parents. I spent much of the time sleeping, napping and watching CNN. Dad and I took the dogs out for walk in the woods almost every day. Grandma & Grandpa took me out for lunch (at her favorite bar). Mom held a big family gathering and invited way too many people. I was usually so exhausted by 7pm that this party was more than I could handle. But, those bratwursts and hotdogs on the grill were so tasty!



As for Number 3, Amy is one of my dear friends whom I have known since our moms were in Homemakers together. She was slightly annoyed when I had no room in my schedule to meet her last Christmas, so we promised to spend some quality time together this summer. It was so worth it. We took her two boys camping in the wilderness of WI. Since Amy is married to a "foreigner" herself, she and I always have a lot to talk [complain] about.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Okay you said, you went shopping back home, so you've probably got all your maternity stuff bought already. But just in case you need something, Motherhood Maternity does ship to Japan! When I was pregnant with Noah last year, I bought some stuff online, even after I had come back from Denver. Some last minute stuff, I changed my mind about and decided I wanted. Silly of me, because I shoulda bought it in Denver to begin with. But anyway....they do ship internationally. I think the shipping fee was $15.00 US? Something like that. But....I got my stuff within 10 days, so I didn't mind so much.

Anyway, if you need the info, please use it. Otherwise, I'm sorry! : )

I just had a baby last year and I have been a mom for the past 5 years...so I got everything fresh in my mind still as well, ha ha ha! If you need anything just give me a holler! Seriously! There's not too many of us in Japan. And we got to stick together and help out the best we can! : )

Trisha said...

Along the same lines of what Gina said I have lots of baby stuff that I would be glad to let you borrow (a swing, amby baby hammock, baby bath, infant car seat, etc) I know how expensive baby stuff can be and by the time your little one gets here my little one won't need it anymore. You can contact me at mommycoloredglasses@yahoo.com if you are interested.