Thursday, January 26, 2006

Bachelorettes

Why is it that many of my Japanese girlfriends are still single?

Okay, when I wrote "many", what I meant was "the six women that I happen to be friends with."

Not a boyfriend in sight. No dates. Not even a flirtation.

I have heard that Japanese men are so shy, or that they portray themselves as being shy so as to not appear "needy." And, if these women don't pursue the man strongly, by say, hitting him on the head with a big club and then dragging him back to the cave, perhaps he will just never get the hint.

I have heard Christine's stories. And, I suppose there are other foreign wives who were very aggressive with their Japanese men.

I, myself, had never pursued anyone so strongly before I met Yusuke and since I have known him. I was unstoppable.

I remember this one time...we were in high school and I stayed after to visit him when his club activity finished at 6pm. Then, we hung out in the equipment room together until we absolutely had to leave the school. Finally, he went and got his bike and walked me to the bus station. I still didn't know for sure whether he liked me or not, but even though his friend was walking with us, I put my hand over his hand which was resting on his bike seat as we walked to the bus stop. He didn't acknowledge, but he didn't move his hand away. I never mentioned it to him until two weeks ago, but I figured he would have no memory of it. He just started giggling like a little boy. Of course he remembered!

Back to my Japanese girlfriends. I want to fix them up, but I only know a few foreign guys, most of whom are off limits for one reason or another. I wish I knew some nice, decent Japanese guys, but most of the ones I know are married with kids. Is it just that women outnumber men, or is that men are super picky?

1 comment:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

I have a few Japanese friends who are also still single, although one of them is actively looking for a boyfriend/husband (she's doing omiai).