Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Feeling Down

Thanks to those who commented about Ailin's photo. I am enjoying this time with her, and I didn't realize how much life would change with a baby. In most ways, these are good (great!) changes, so I am not complaining. I just wish I could get through my lunch at a restaurant without ... you know what I mean ... I just wish I could get through a whole meal sometimes.

Okay, this title is Feeling Down because in Japanese, they use the word "down" to describe feelings of slight depression...especially after a series of unfortunate events. This is exactly how I feel, and it sort of came to a peak today. Here is my list of events that contributed to my feeling down.

1. Our stroller was slightly broken and had to be sent back to the manufacturer. When we got it back a few weeks later, there was a note with a long explanation and illustrations describing how we had been using the stroller incorrectly. I guess it pays to read directions, even for something as mundane as a stroller. (We had lost the directions immediately after buying the stroller though!)

2. Our digital camera broke and had to be sent back to Canon. At first, we were told it would take 3 weeks and 14,000 yen to fix, but then we were able to prove that our warranty was still good and they fixed it for free. (We had lost the warranty somewhere along the way!)

3. Our car was recalled - no big deal - but it had to go in the shop for a couple of days. I still don't really understand what the problem was.

4. My computer totally and utterly crashed. I guess my iTunes was getting inundated with episodes of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and I didn't realize it. My hard disk became too full to function properly and I had to have everything cleared out and reinstalled. Fortunately, my files were saved, but it took 2 weeks to get it working. The guys down at PC Depot kept treating me like an idiot, but finally on the 3rd trip to the store lugging my computer and baby with me, they finally went ahead and did what I was asking them to from the beginning. I hated living without a computer for 2 weeks, and this is partly what prompted me to start blogging again.

5. My husband offered to buy a new cell phone for me - one that can be used for international calls as well. At the cell phone store, they attempted to take my old phone and transfer the phone book info to the new phone, but it broke mid-transfer and so they suggested I enter the info by hand later. When I got home, I found that my old phone couldn't be turned on at all, so I had lost all of my contacts' phone numbers! It's not like I had written anyone's numbers down!

6. And, the most recent of events - yesterday, I was driving through an intersection when a small child kicked a stone and it just happened to hit the windshield of my car. He was about 6, judging from his size, elementary school-style back pack and his apparent lack of understanding about what he had done. He was with 3 friends, and I could tell he hadn't done it on purpose. I got out of the car to confront them, but I neglected to ask him his full name, address, phone number, school's name, etc. It crossed my mind that he probably didn't know this information himself, or if he did, he had been taught not to tell it to strangers. However, after the fact, I have thought of several ways I could have handled the situation. However, I had stopped the car in kind of a bad place on the road and Ailin was asleep in her car seat. I couldn't leave the scene to follow the kid home and talk to his mom or force him to take me back to his school so I could speak with the teacher. It was terrible luck, really. The windshield is now cracked.

It dawned on me after this incident that although I had been able to handle the first 5 cases with relative ease - everything was fixed with no problem, apt cooperation from Suk, and I had a chance to demonstate my Japanese skills in a variety of situations. However, this last one left me feeling paralyzed. I realized that I don't know how to call the police, I didn't know how to describe the street corner we were on, and I wouldn't have known how to describe the situation to the police over the phone. I also didn't know exactly how to talk to the young child - which words do they understand? How polite do I have to be? What would be appropriate to say to him? And, if I had gotten into an accident with another car, I would definitely not know what to do, how to call the insurance co., how to describe anything. The whole incident left me quite humbled.

7. And, this is not related to electronics, but I have not been able to lose the pregnancy weight. All of my friends have been able to lose it already, but Ailin is almost 5 months, and I am as fat as ever...and getting fatter. I only have two pairs of pants - one pair is maternity pants - that I can wear, and I have to wear very large, loose-fitting t-shirts. I often ask Suk why the weight won't go away, and his response is usually something like "It's because you eat fatty, greasy foods all the time. Those other women are probably eating very healthily." or "It's because you don't exercise. You should take up jogging or something."

Frankly, I don't see how that can happen...the jogging thing I mean. My right foot hurts like hell, and I can't even sit in certain positions without getting these shooting pains up my foot. So, I am considering getting a pool membership somewhere and going for aqua-aerobics, but then I have to find someone to care for Ailin during these times. Not an easy task.

As for the eating fatty, greasy foods...no, I do not eat these types of foods constantly. Okay, I do/did have a daily craving for chocolate and coke, but that was it! His theory was blown out of the water today when I went out to eat lunch with a mom frmo my playgroup. She seems to be back down her pre-preggers weight as she is totally skinny! For lunch, guess what she ate?! Three donuts from Mr Donuts. That's it. This was her "lunch", not a snack! Meanwhile, I couldn't even get through my bowl of chilled udon noodles because Ailin was screaming her head off.

4 comments:

ad said...

Well, I'll add to your list of crappy things. Today I tried to go to the dentist. There was no information stating that children were not allowed. My children see a dentist at the same place in this university dental school. Their dentist does not run his practice out of the pediatric section, so they have, in the past used the same facilities that I was about to use. I had to wait on a list since March to get in, and it is now July. I got through the making of the appointment, kids in tow, the checking in o date of appointment and filling out all my forms, kids in tow, and the lining up to give your records to the someone else who then assigned me to a dentist, kids in tow, all without anyone mentioning that, hey, kids aren't allowed in the room with grown-ups! Then when my name is called the dentist comes out and says, hey, you can't bring those kids in here. They'll have to wait out here in the lobby, the same bustling public lobby that everyone and his brother are walking through. Leave your kids out here, they'll be fine, it's only 20 minutes and the secretary, the same one that couldn't even remember to tell you that kids weren't allowed in the first place, will watch them. Even though she's actually in another room. But make sure they don't have any cash on them, okay?

(Cash? Excuse me?) No, thanks anyway, I'll just have to reschedule.

Okay, wait here, I'll be right out to help you do that.

Random other dentist passing by: Do you HAVE to wait right there?

Um, yeh, I was just told to by this other dentist who...

Random do-gooder female patient also waiting for her name to be called, walking up to my kids and saying: Do you want to wait with me? I can watch you while your Mommy is in her appointment.

(Um, hello, why are you asking my kids? I'm the parent, standing right here. Can you look me in the eye and ask me?) Oh, that's nice but I can't leave them alone out here. Thanks anyway.

Why not?

I just don't want to leave them out here without me. But thanks again.

Well, they won't be alone, I'll watch them. I'm waiting too.

Well, one of them has a medical condition and I don't want to leave him alone.

Well what kind of medical condition?

I don't have to tell you about it. It's none of your business. I'm not leaving them, okay?

Well why can't you tell me?

Because I don't have to. Now leave us alone please.

But I'm just trying to help. They'll be fine with me.

No, I'm not leaving them. You need to go away now.

My dentist comes out: You can comwe with me ans we'll reschedule you.

Scheduler: We have no appointments left this semester. And this appointment will be counted as a no show. Here is a business card. Try again next semester in September.

Hmmm......

At least I was able to keep smiling the entire time, and keep speaking to everyone involved in a decent tone, even when I was telling that random girl that she needed to go now and my blood was boiling like that Vulcan guy from Star Trek.

illahee said...

i'm sorry to hear about all the crappy things that happened! criminy! and the differences in customer differences. makes you wanna pull your hair out sometimes!!

as for the weight loss...take this with a grain of salt, but...it took you about nine months to gain it, and it takes about nine months to lose it. i've heard that some women seem to lose it all at once towards the end. as for comparing...if you're comparing yourself to a japanese woman, keep in mind that it's highly unlikely she gained any weight during pregnancy, since it's something they try to avoid as much as possible. i totally understand about trying to get a work-out when you don't have anyone to watch your baby. i haven't seriously exercised since about a month before hiro was born. it sucks. also, that comment your husband made sounds just like my husband!! i wonder why they're still alive...(the grain of salt part: i didn't gain much weight during pregnancy, so i can't say for certainty how the weight loss thing works. but then, i'm a fatty fat fat to begin with, so there you go!)

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

Mande, I hope that you're feeling a bit better now that you're traveling! I understand about the weight issues...it's frustrating!!! I'll be in your position in a few months time. Stay tuned! Looking forward to hearing from you when you're back!

L. said...

I feel your frustration -- I gained 50 pounds with all three pregnancies (exactly 50 pounds -- it was uncanny). Every time, it took me a year to take it off, and it was slow-going at first. And my husband would sigh and get pained look on his face whenever he saw me eating. Oh, and the interrupted meal thing -- I can relate to that, too.