Friday, July 29, 2005

Updates

Thanks for your comments about the last entry. Right now, I am reading a fiction novel about India called "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. I have to admit that I don't know much about Indian culture or history, so I feel a bit lost sometimes. However, this is a good way to learn.

It is so extremely hot in Japan these days. The rainy season is over, and now we are into the scorching summer. I can understand now why the ladies here often use parasols and wear long gloves to cover their arms. I, however, am not willing to go that far yet. Anyway, Shannon and Jill must have fond memories of how hot the temperature gets in July and August.

Update on our condo is that we were pre-approved for a loan, which is really great. We are deciding some last-minute design issues, but we won't be moving until next March. So, there won't be much news about that for a while. Shannon and Jill asked for some photos, so I'll put some digital photos of the model room which I sneakily took on the day we signed. If you click on the title of this post, you will be able to see the photos. (Remember that any title with three dots next to it means there is a link attached to it.) Also, here is the link for the condo's web site (http://www.home-plaza.jp/cgi-perl/room_plan.cgi?path=zephyr-inagekaigancrystal&thing_code=180019). You can look at the room lay out. Our room lay out is Letter G. You probably won't be able to read the web site as most of it is in Japanese, but you can see the pictures.

Currently, I am taking a 5-day seminar on teaching English. As you know, I am not a trained teacher, so I have to get training in any way I can, and it's best if it is free. In this case, Chiba Board of Education is sponsoring this seminar and I had to beg to be included because it is actually meant for Japanese teachers of English. I finally got permission to go, and it has been great so far. I am learning so much and I can't wait to try some of these methods on my students this fall. All of the seminars are taught by foreigners who are college instructors at a really innovative university here in Chiba. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my "career" this year, and I have decided through talking with various people that I should stay in the high school system. Before, I was thinking that I should get my Masters in TESOL and then get a job at a university. However, I am in a really good position at my high school and it is quite a high level school in terms of English. I have the potential to help make changes on this level, which in effect, has the potential to affect more students in the long run. For right now, I don't need to have a Masters to do this job, but I will keep it in mind for the future.

Other news is that although Yusuke and I are so low on money right now because it is going for condo-related and dog-related stuff, we are planning our trip to the USA at Christmas. It will be so nice to go home and see family, friends and our beloved Wisconsin. I never thought I would say this, but whenever anyone asks me where I am from, I get a BIG SMILE on my face and say "Wisconsin!" Also, whenever I mention Wisconsin during my classes, I smile wistfully. One of my students commented recently, "Wow, she must be so proud of her home state! She always seems so excited whenever the topic of Wisconsin comes up!" Does anyone else feel that way about their home state or home town? I mean, I know Shannon and Jill have both left Wisconsin so you might be able to relate. Or, Christine, how do you feel about New York? Anyway, I will give you more details about our trip as we decide what we'll be doing. We have to make reservations very early, so that's why we are already talking about it. Plus, I am just homesick and Yusuke desperately wants a vacation, so daydreaming about Christmas in Wisconsin makes us feel better.

That's all! I want updates from you all! Comment on the blog or write to me personally.

2 comments:

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

Excellent that you posted an update!

I LOVED "The God of Small Things". I've also read 2 other books about Indian culture that I really enjoyed and think that you would like as well: "Born Confused" and "Namesake". Really great reads.

NY...yes, whenever NY comes up, I am always proud to say that I am from there (actually wish I was back there, but you can't have everything in life, I guess). I love trying to debunk some of the awful images that people have about NY--crime, 9/11, etc.--which sometimes gets to me because people base their opinions on what they've seen in the movies. That's why it poetic to hear how much people enjoyed it when have gone to visit. :)

I'm off to look at the condo pages right now!

Will email you later!

Shannon said...

I am more proud of being from WI now that I moved to CO than I was when I lived there! (Not to mention how much of a Packer fan I've had to become.) Of course, after being there two weeks in mid-90's temperature and loads of humidity, sometimes the fantasy is better than the reality! But, I too, get a big cheesy grin whenever I hear "Wisconsin"!